When a gas grill burner fails to operate properly, a purpose over the scrap pile stays for this outdoor cooking model. That is converting it into the charcoal grill. Many grilling lovers prefer this because of the smoky and rich flavours imparted to the entire meat by the charcoal. While requiring a few modifications of the inside of a gas grill, the device will keep on functioning. This will allow you to enjoy a different grilling style throughout the years. Today in this post, we will discuss with you how to convert a gas grill to a charcoal grill. But before talking about it, we will describe with you more about the gas grill and charcoal grill. This will help you to get a clear idea. Let’s dig into the matter!
Novice cooks and chefs are using gas grills and charcoal grills for quite a long time. Both the grills have distinctive features from each other. Gas grills have been very popular in the grill market for many years. Because it is easy to use. But it is expensive and not portable. It may also bring any potential danger of explosion. Then comes the question to convert the gas grill to charcoal grill. This will give the feel of typical and traditional flavor which is coming from wood chips. Whereas a gas grill provides a bacon-like taste. It may be upon your taste buds to decide on any grilling option. But if you are a cooking lover, you should know the process of converting this into the charcoal grill. But before heading towards this point, we will explain why a charcoal gas grill is better than a gas grill. Below we will pinpoint some points why you should convert it to a charcoal grill:
- Taste: Gas grill may give the meat more moisture. But charcoal grill provides a smokier taste. Whenever the meat drippings touch the flame, they begin to vaporize. And a portion will penetrate the food. On the other hand, a gas grill has metallic or ceramic slabs to cover the flame. Dripping spices or foods hit this surface which won’t touch the meat. Therefore, you can’t smoke properly with this grill. Apart from this, gas grills can not provide the food with extra flavor. However, the charcoal gas grill may serve you with the best smoky taste.
- Cost: Because of the complexity and mechanism, gas grills are always more expensive rather than charcoal grills. If you do not want to invest a lot on a grill, then a charcoal grill is the only option for you. So, a charcoal grill is very much affordable. You can easily buy this for less than 100 dollars. Even if you want to buy the pricier models having more features, they will be relatively cheaper and more affordable than the gas grill. So, if you want to use any grill only for certain occasions, a less costly charcoal grill will be a good choice.
- Fuel: On a gas grill, you have to buy propane gas. This fuel is costly. So, unless you have a gas line into it, this grill will cost you at least 20 dollars for refilling. Apart from the expenses of fuel, you may get limited grilling sessions. But the charcoal gas grill is free from this trouble.
- Durability: Although gas grills are not always less durable than the charcoal or other type of grills. But some parts of the gas grill need to be replaced if you do not take care of them regularly. Particularly the burners and the gas lines.
They are also difficult to clean as there are many parts. Charcoal grills are usually just a big pan which holds the fuel. Whereas gas grill has a more complicated design.
- Portability: For a charcoal grill, you don’t need to be concerned about carrying the propane gas. Therefore, you can easily bring them with you at the time of camping. You can buy small-sized charcoal grills. This can be used for making a few burgers. They can be packed easily.
[dpress_single_pro pro_title=”Weber 741001 Original Kettle 22-Inch Charcoal Grill” pro_ratings=”4.5/5″ pro_url=”https://amzn.to/2F68kwJ” /]
Process Of Converting Gas Grill To Charcoal Grill:
Things You Need:
- Old propane grill.
- Long-lasting chicken wire.
- Wire cutters.
- Power drill.
- Half inch drill bit allocated for drilling metal.
First of all, you have to start by disconnecting the propane cylinder from your grill. Remove all gas regulator valves and hoses from beneath the grill. Removal techniques can vary according to the grill manufacturer and type. But you should follow the original grill manual in the right direction. This will help you in this process.
Now, leave all gas burners intact on the inner side of your grill. These will help in forming supports for the homemade charcoal grate.
In this step, you begin the work by turning all gas burners to superheat settings as well as open the grill lid for allowing any gas that may remain in the burners or lines to escape.
For now, remove the cooking grate. Then set it aside.
In this step, you have to cut the wire for fitting the dimensions of the interior of the grill. This homemade charcoal grate will be able to touch all grill walls whilst sitting above the old burners’ inner side of the grill. It will be providing separation between the grill floor and lit coals. Therefore, oxygen will reach the heat source.
Drill six straight holes through the grill floor as well as between the burners. It will allow air from the outside of the grill to circulate the inner side. This will also provide oxygen deprivation to fan the charcoal fires.
Back into the grill, place the cooking grate.
In case of heavy chicken wire, any old cooking grates or charcoal will work perfectly. But the condition is the dimensions should fit the old gas grill whilst sitting above the burners.
Never start charcoal fires inside the gas grills which are equipped with active natural-gas lines or propane tanks. This will create a serious risk of explosion.
So, this is all for today. I hope this post will help you to understand properly about converting a gas grill to a charcoal grill. By converting this, you will not worry about the regular expenses of gas. Plus you can taste a smoky traditional food. A charcoal grill is portable and enables you to cook at high temperatures. Let’s enjoy this!